Wednesday, November 10, 2010

An Etsy Wedding

First off, I'd like to offer up a disclaimer: this post will have very little to do with Colombia.

Many of you know that I LOVE to buy stuff online. Ebay and Amazon, after gmail, are probably my most-visited websites. Etsy, though... Etsy is a GOLDMINE for wedding-related paraphernalia. Before our wedding, we had a very hard time finding a ketubah that we liked. We pored through website after website of generic judaica-y-looking ketubahs that were devoid of personality and special meaning to us. The text was standardized, the picitures were standardized; the process was about as personal as buying a book off Amazon. On Etsy, however, we found the ketubah of our dreams. Papercut, colorful, customizable, and, as an added bonus, much cheaper than the other ketubahs on offer. The artist's name is Jerise, and if you liked what you saw at our wedding and are getting married soon, I highly recommend that you send her an email.

While we were on this pre-wedding Etsy binge, Robin decided that she wanted to buy me a wedding gift. I was a bit confused, then excited to receive a gift, and after a little while we stumbled across some handmade map cufflinks. What could be more appropriate to Robin and I than maps? Each cufflink has a different map, Athens in one and Washington, D.C. in the other. Of course, I wore them to the wedding, and they're still the only pair of cufflinks I own.

I loved my wedding ring. 18k yellow gold comfort fit milgraine 6mm wide 2mm thick size 8.5. It was awesome. It was a little big, and Robin always nagged me to send it off to get resized, but due to a combination of laziness and an unwillingness to be separated from my ring, I never did it. Now my wonderful band rests somewhere in the sewer system of Popayán, Colombia, a victim of having fallen down a sink. Jobless and quickly burning through our savings, the idea of paying the premium for a recycled metal didn't exactly excite us. I turned to my trusty Ebay and found the exact same ring (except 1.3 mm thick instead of 2 mm) available for a fraction of the price (though still not a negligible amount).

That's when we turned to Etsy and found the ULTIMATE (no, not frisbee) green, recycled metal wedding ring.

1 comment: