Sorry it's been almost a month since our last post. I was busy with finally working a 9 to 5, Alice came to visit, Robin went to the U.S. for Carlyn's wedding, etc., etc. So, enough with the apologies, time to start with the updates.
The consulting gig with Mercy Corps went really well. It was interesting to work for an NGO after so much time with a defense contractor. Some differences: no worrying about classified material, actual field research before writing a proposal, much less of a focus on monitoring and evaluation, no psycho boss. Though I was expecting, it the thing that really struck me was the similarities. At the end of the day, it's the same 9 to 5 grind as any other job, with coworkers, bosses, a little kitchen, and, best of all, the commute. Fortunately, the work was interesting, and I got to learn a lot about a region of Colombia that we visited with Evan but barely explored, La Guajira. We'll definitely make it back before we leave Colombia, whenever that ends up happening.
At the end of the three weeks, I turned in a damn good proposal, turned in my computer, and said goodbye. It was fun while it lasted, but I won't lie and say that it wasn't nice to go back home, bake some bread, and make some dried mango and beef jerky in preparation of our trip to El Cocuy. Who knows, maybe they'll need some proposal writing support again soon and I'll be conscripted back into their ranks. Until then, it's back to teaching English.
P.S. Whoops, almost forgot. Haven't spent any of the money yet (haven't actually received it yet, either), but I think we're going to blow it on Lasik, the flights back to the U.S. in August, and a new computer.
No comments:
Post a Comment