Saturday, October 1, 2011

L'shana tova u'metuka

Looking back on this past Jewish year, I couldn't be any more pleased with where we are now. We moved to Colombia a little more than a year ago with nothing but each other, our savings, and a Google Doc of about 20 people we should call when we got here. We spent last Rosh Hashanah mostly to ourselves, attempting to go to the Orthodox synagogue here while feeling completely detached from that community (read: mehitzas make me really uncomfortable). This year, we spent the first night of Rosh Hashanah dinner with some good friends (not Jewish) at our apartment and the second night at the house of some other good friends (Jewish). Sometimes I get sad or nostalgic about living far away from my dearest friends, and then I remember that we really do have communities here. We have built something from nothing, and that is something I will take with me wherever we go. Not to mention which, our relationship with each other has grown - the only downside being: what we will do when both of us have full-time jobs that don't have flexible hours and we can't spend hours just hanging out?

First night of Rosh Hashanah with our round challahs!

Much has happened this year - our nephew, Davis, was born on Rosh Hashanah to usher in a great 5771. Jerry and I both became completely fluent in Spanish. We backpacked for 7 days. We went to Ecuador and traveled around Colombia. We started doing yoga regularly. Lots of wonderful people came to visit us. Jerry fell in love with his new hobby, marroquinería - leather-working. I got a ridiculously awesome job and for the past month, I have been making maps (links to come once I have something up on the internet).

Paso de la Sierra
Hiking at El Cocuy National Park

In the coming year, I'd like take more weekend trips. I'd like to dive head-first into my new job, let go of my fear of making mistakes and just learn. I'd like to deepen my friendships here and keep in better touch with people who I am not geographically near. I'd like to do more yoga and ride my bike more. I'd like to spend more time out on our terrace. I'd like to live more intentionally.


Robin Yoga
Yoga on the roof.

To all a healthy, wonderful 5772.

2 comments:

  1. And a wonderful new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, followed over here from APW. It sounds like you've done quite well for yourselves in Columbia! I'm struggling a little bit right now trying to find a niche for myself the small town we've moved to and this is so inspirational. Keep living your dream, it's fabulous. :-)

    ReplyDelete