Monday, November 21, 2011

Sí, soy gringa

I can't count the number of times I have had this conversation:

Cab driver: Where are you from?
Me: The United States.
C.D.: Really? You don't look like you're from the States.
Me: Yeah, we're not all tall, blonde, and fat.

You would be amazed by how many people here honestly believe that all Americans fit the above description (or at least the tall and blonde part). I love educating Colombians by explaining that one of my favorite aspects of American culture is that we are a mix of all types of people. That continues to be a reason why I want to ultimately live in the U.S.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Circa 1968:

    Cab Driver: So you are living in San Bernardo. Why would anyone want to live there?
    Me: Because it is HOME. "Me siento en casa."
    Cab Driver: Yeah, I would like to go back to Pasca, but now it is overrun with guerrillas.
    Me: Too bad.

    ReplyDelete