Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Love in the Time of Cholera

The title of this post, of course, is also the title of one of Colombia's most well-known products: the novel by Gabriel García Márquez, which Robin is unironically reading in English as I write this post. Time for more stereotypical travel writing: I think I have/had cholera. Average conversation that Robin and I have had over the last 2 weeks:

Jerry (on WebMD): Robin, I think I have cholera.
Robin: What are you talking about? You're being silly. You don't have cholera.
Jerry: Do you want to come to the bathroom with me?
Robin: Fine, fine, you have cholera. Want some tea?

Robin has become so thoroughly Colombian that her solution for all ailments of the stomach is a tea made with fresh hierbabuena (literally: good grass, though we know it as peppermint). Placebo effect or traditional medicine, it still tastes good.

As for the love part of the title, two days ago Robin and I celebrated our one year anniversary. Really, it was the second time we celebrated the anniversary. Two Fridays ago while Evan was still here we celebrated our Jewish calendar anniversary with a wonderful dinner party. Monday was a bit less extravagant. We decided to cook a nice little meal for ourselves: red pepper soup, rhubarb cake, and 40 garlic clove chicken. Robin said that we're probably the only married couple in the world that gorged ourselves on garlic for our anniversary.

3 comments:

  1. This is probably my favorite post to date, mostly because I know exactly how this conversation went.

    Jerry: maybe you have Giardia.

    Robin: I miss your "oh hell no" face

    Love you both!
    Yael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb Cake! Love it! Did you know that rhubarb is one of only two perennial vegetables?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this post too. yay you two. !

    ReplyDelete