Monday, October 25, 2010

Selling my soul for $10/hour

Yes, yes. I know that some of you would argue that this is actually the second time I've sold my soul. And, well, Mark, I really don't have a comeback for that.

Today, Robin and I went to an English-teaching institute called Smart to see if we might be able to make some money and teach some English lessons. Over the last couple of weeks, we'd heard that October through December is kind of a dead season for teaching English, so our odds of finding work would be slim. As a result, we decided that we would focus our energies on lining things up such that when we come back from the 'States in January, we'll be ready to start working.

Fortunately, Smart has an immediate need for English teachers, and the guy who interviewed us even asked if we could start tomorrow. Good news, right? Even better, they'll sponsor us for a work visa, and, depending on my negotiation skills, might even pay for it... Now, of course, none of this is written in stone -- no contract has been signed, I'm not actually going to start working tomorrow (of course a phone call went unreturned), and this does mean that an 8-hour work day would be 6-9, 12-2, and 5-8. Fun, I know, not to mention the weekend work...

Robin worried that this meant we were "selling out," acting as our own dream assassins. I reminded her that we would only be selling our souls if we stopped looking for other work (preferably something where we could speak Spanish/where Robin could do GIS). At the end of the day, being able to work in a country legally and prevent your savings from dwindling away to nothing is definitely a good thing.

5 comments:

  1. And think of the networking you will be doing with the people to whom you are teaching English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a joy to walk down the street and have one of your students say hello in good english!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats guys! I hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete