Sunday, July 10, 2011

Proud to be an American

If you are from the U.S. you probably learned in elementary school that there are seven continents in the world: Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, North America, and South America. You probably took this information at face value and never questioned it. It turns out that there is no one definition for what a continent is, and people all around the world learn different things in school. As it turns out, people in Latin America generally learn that what we refer to as North and South America - they refer to as one continent, America.

Which brings us to the debate I've had with people from various parts of Latin America for years, which you may have experienced yourself. Why do us citizens from the U.S. call ourselves "Americans?" I become passionately involved in this debate, and I will defend that term until someone changes the subject. Even if it's my Colombian friend's birthday and she insists she was taught that North America was comprised of the U.S. and Canada, Mexico was part of Central America, and then changes everything by saying that America is really one continent.

Really what this comes down to is that the name of our country is the United States of America. Goodness knows why our Founding Fathers (and Mothers? Who am I kidding, they surely didn't have a say in the matter.) chose that name, but así es (that's the way it is). What this really comes down to is a linguistic problem - Mexico is called the United States of Mexico, and its citizens are referred to as Mexicans. Colombia is the Republic of Colombia, and its citizens are Colombians. Of course, someone from Latin America may rebut that we were arrogant in the first place to choose the name of the continent as the name of our country, but what can we do about that now? There was probably a good reason behind it at the time - like, you know, these were the first independent states in America. And then the name stuck.

I am often referred to here as norteamericana - which profoundly bothers me. North America refers to not only the U.S., but several other countries, and I see it as more arrogant to refer to myself as a "North American."

So I will continue to call myself American in English, estadounidense or gringa in Spanish, and any host of other words in other languages.

Have you ever had this debate before? What's your take on it? What is your perception of how other people view this debate around the world?

6 comments:

  1. Yes. Have totally had that debate. And to be honest, it's all semantics. I don't really care. Some people, as you've found, really do though.

    New Zealanders can call themselves New Zealanders, Kiwis, Pākehā (if non-Maori) or Maori. There's nothing else that Americans call themselves, thus, they are Americans.

    It's really about power and politics rather than words though, and this is just one way they're expressing their frustration at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps, did I tell you I really like the new design? I think I did. Regardless. Cool peaks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had the debate, but it sure is interesting to see the international take on what is just semantics (as travelling mary said). We are Americans who happen to live in one of the 50 united states, in a union which has stood the test of time and one very bloody civil war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely about power and politics, people wanting to claim the US is arrogant. They absolutely don't realize it's all about semantics.

    Glad you like the design, though I can't take credit for those peaks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delayed posting... but I couldn't help but say... YES. This debate drives me nuts. I'm a US expat in Argentina and I refuse to call myself anything but American when speaking English because it's our own freakin language and we can call our selves what we like in our own freakin language. But in Spanish... I always always always use estadounidense. It took me like 3 years to be able to pronounce it right and my husband, who is Argentine, was like... just say norteamericana. It's easier. And that made me so mad... it's okay for Latin Americans to bitch about our use of the term "American" but fuck the Canadians?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vive le fromage, vive le vin et vive la France !

    Ton frère :)

    ReplyDelete